2's Day with Polestar 2
2's Day. Tuesday, February 22nd, 2022. Or, more satisfyingly: 22/02/22. Given that it will take another 200 years for the next occurrence of this type (and it looks like February 22nd, 2222, will actually fall on a Friday), we figured there was no better time to look at our own number 2.
Polestar 2 has been in customers' hands for almost two years. And in that time, it's seen constant improvements in drivability, usability, and sustainability. OTA (Over the Air) updates mean it can update and upgrade with the same frequency as a smartphone. Improvements don't have to come with a new facelift or model year. And said improvements can be implemented across all vehicles simultaneously. No garage visits, no hardware installations.
These updates have made the following improvements, bug fixes and upgrades possible since the start of customer deliveries in 2020:
- stability improvements to the 12-volt battery
- improved car-to-internet connectivity
- improved charge speed when using a DC charger
- addition of a customer request (yes, we take requests): pre-set climate timers
- update of the estimated Distance to Empty (DTE) for the battery via a linear algorithm
- wireless mobile charging fix, after some customers reported having issues charging the (then) new iPhone 12 with a MagSafe wireless charger
- software version P1.5 bug fix, which was stopping users' favourite contacts from syncing with the car
- addition of a customer request: charging speed shown in kW in the driver display
- an in-car Range Assistant app that improves efficiency and increases range confidence
- an Eco Climate mode in said app that allows the driver to reduce demand on the battery from the climate system
- battery preconditioning improvements
Now, there are approximately 29,000 Polestar 2s across the world. Out of these, almost 90% have installed the latest OTA update. This means they're running software that's fixed the early-stage issues. They've also received updates that have added new features and enhanced existing ones, leading to an even better driver and user experience.
There's always room for improvement. And with the OTA updates available for Polestar 2, there always will be. From now until next 2's Day.
Polestar at the Met Gala
Few things occupy the space where design, art, and innovation meet as naturally as fashion. The runway is a known environment for true experimentation, showcasing new techniques, materials, and design philosophies to audiences eager to see what’s next and what’s still in the realm of fantasy. The Met Gala, colloquially known as “fashion’s big night out”, is where the who’s who of this world congregate. And to meet up at this meeting of minds, participants took another thing that’s perfectly at home in the middle of the Venn diagram of design, art, and innovation: Polestar 2.
No compromises: Polestar at the Big Game
Agreeing is easy. Challenging the status quo, however, is not. Driving progress means questioning conventions, old ways, and established methods. Saying no, in other words. No to time wasting, no to smoke screens, and no to shortcuts. So when it comes to following the industry standard, it's a no from us.
Yearly Highlights 2021
Challenging conventions. Evolving our design language. Driving climate action. These are the convictions that define the Polestar universe. Looking back across another eventful year, it's evident that they've all contributed to the expansion of said universe. These are our highlights from 2021.