Scope and purpose
This policy applies to the processing of customer personal data by Polestar Performance AB and affiliates (referred to as “Polestar“ or “we”).
The purpose of this policy is to provide our current, former and potential customers (jointly referred to as “customers” or “you”) with a general understanding of:
- The circumstances under which we collect and process your personal data;
- The types of personal data we collect;
- The reasons for collecting your personal data; and
- How we handle your personal data.
The processing of your personal data forms an important part of our provision of products and services to you. We appreciate the trust you place in us when providing us with your personal data, and consider your privacy an essential part of the services we offer.
In order to safeguard your personal data while increasing the customer value and offering enhanced and safer driving experiences, we adhere to the following five general principles.
Freedom of choice
Your personal data belongs to you. We strive not to make any assumptions regarding your privacy preferences and aim to design our services so that you can choose whether to share your personal data with us.
Balance of interests
Where the processing of your personal data is necessary for the pursuit of a legitimate interest, and where this interest outweighs the need to protect your privacy, we may process certain personal data without obtaining your express consent. For more information, see the “Consent” section below.
We will assess whether such a legitimate interest exists based on the potential benefits to (including the safety of) our customers and the general public.
Polestar endeavours to only process customer personal data that is adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose for which it has been collected.
We aim to anonymize your personal data when a function or service can be achieved with anonymized data. If we combine anonymized or non-personal data with your personal data, it will be treated as personal data for as long as it remains combined.
On request, Polestar will provide customers with further information regarding our processing of your personal data, which may include excerpts from internal directives and guidelines.
It is Polestars policy to comply with the applicable laws, rules and regulations governing privacy and data protection in each and every country where we operate. Where necessary, we will adjust our processing of your personal data as described in this policy to ensure legal compliance.
The following terms, used throughout this policy, have the meanings set out in EU Directive 95/46/EC on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data. Accordingly:
- “Data controller” means the natural or legal person, public authority, agency or any other body which alone or jointly with others determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data;
- “Data processor” means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency or any other body which processes personal data on behalf of the controller;
- “Personal data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or to one or more factors specific to his physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity;
- “Processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed upon personal data, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organization, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, blocking, erasure or destruction; and
- “Sensitive personal data” means personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade-union membership, and the processing of data concerning health or sex life.
You may provide us with information about you or your vehicle when utilising Polestars services in or outside a vehicle or in other contacts with Polestars, for example through our websites or customer centres (in this context, please note that phone calls may be recorded for quality assurance purposes). We may also obtain such data from our authorised dealers and repairers and other third parties. Such data (“Customer-provided personal data”) may include:
- Your contact information (name, address, telephone number, email address, etc.);
- Demographic information (age, marital status, household composition, etc.);
- Vehicle information (vehicle identification number (VIN), model, date of purchase, service history, etc.);
- Location data generated by your activities (navigation assistance, search queries, location sharing, etc.); and
- Data pertaining to your purchase and use of our products and services (customer preferences and settings, purchase history etc.).
Your vehicle will also automatically collect data relating to the vehicle and its surroundings, primarily of a technical nature and not directly related to you as a person. Such data (“Vehicle-recorded data”) is typically connected to the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle and may therefore be traceable to you. Vehicle-recorded data may include:
- Safety information (whether airbags or belt tensioners have been triggered, whether the doors and windows are locked or open, etc.);
- System functionality status (of the engine, throttle, steering, and brakes, etc.);
- Driving data (vehicle speed, brake and accelerator pedal use, steering wheel movement, etc.);
- Location data (the position of the vehicle in case of an accident, etc.); and
- Surroundings data (temperature outside the vehicle, images, etc.).
Information about certain Vehicle-recorded data is also included in the owner’s manual. We are particularly careful and apply additional measures if and when collecting and processing sensitive personal data, as required by applicable law. To the extent personal identification numbers and credit card numbers are stored by Polestars, such information is also considered sensitive. For avoidance of doubt, it is noted that applicable law may require other kind of data to likewise be treated as sensitive personal data. Applicable law may also limit the possibility to process location data in certain countries.
Where reasonably practical or as required by applicable law, we will, in collecting or registering your personal data, provide you with (i) specific information as to the purposes of the processing of your personal data, (ii) the identity of the data controller, (iii) the identities of any third parties to whom the data may be disclosed and (iv) other information which may be necessary to ensure that you are able to safeguard your rights.
The above information may, for example, be provided when you purchase a vehicle, in the vehicle’s infotainment system, in mobile applications developed by Polestar, at www.polestar.com or otherwise in an agreement which you enter into with Polestar.
Where reasonably practical or as required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent prior to collecting or using your personal data. The request for your consent will be clear and provide you with a reasonable basis with which to make your decision. Your consent could always be revoked, for example by terminating a particular service or contacting Polestars at the address indicated in the “Information and Access” section below.
The collection and use of Vehicle-recorded data may be necessary in order for (i) technicians to diagnose and rectify faults in vehicles during the service and maintenance of vehicles, (ii) Polestars product development, for example enhancements of the vehicles’ quality and safety features, (iii) managing Polestars warranty undertakings and (iv) fulfilment of legal requirements. When collecting or using Vehicle-recorded data for these purposes, and for similar legitimate interests pursued by Polestar, we will generally not seek your consent unless this is deemed necessary in the individual case or required by applicable law.
Polestar authorised dealers and repairers
Polestar stresses strict rules regarding data protection compliance in its contracts with authorised dealers and repairers. Please note, however, that Polestar and its authorised dealers and repairers are separate legal entities and that we are generally not responsible if such entities do not follow applicable laws. If you have questions regarding your dealer’s or repairer’s use of your personal data, please contact the dealer or repairer directly.
Third party applications
You may be able to access applications and other services connected to a vehicle but provided by a third party, which, for example, may require transfer of location data and other Vehicle-recorded data to the third party. Polestar is not responsible for the collection or use of personal data in third party applications or services, and recommends that you carefully review the applicable terms and conditions of (and any privacy statement related to) such applications or services prior to use. If you have questions concerning a certain third party’s use of your personal data, please contact the third party directly.
The personal data which Polestar collects about you and the vehicle will be used:
- To provide you with products and services, including to verify your eligibility for certain purchases and services as well as to offer you enhanced offers and experiences;
- To inform you of updates to, or changes in, our products and services, including but not limited to changes to our terms and conditions and policies;
- To inform you of new products, services and events;
- To provide vehicle support and services (warranty service, recall information, etc.);
- For product development purposes, for example to improve vehicle performance, quality and safety; - To evaluate and improve our offering to and communication with customers; and
- To comply with legal requirements.
For most processing acts, you are able to opt out of our use of your personal data by updating your preferences, terminating a particular service, revoking your consent to the processing by contacting Polestar at the address indicated in the “Information and Access” section below or as otherwise instructed by us. However, and unless otherwise follows from applicable law, you may generally not opt out of the processing of your personal data:
- In relation to certain acts of collection and further processing of your Vehicle-recorded data (see the “Consent” section above);
- Which we perform in order to send you important notices, such as changes to our terms and conditions and policies or in case of product recalls; and
- Which we perform in order to comply with our legal obligations.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this policy or the purposes of which you have otherwise been informed.
This means that once you have consented to our processing of your personal data, we will retain your data in accordance with the consent given and/or until you revoke your consent. If you have revoked your consent, we may nevertheless retain certain personal data for the period required in order for us to meet our legal obligations and defend ourselves in legal disputes. If we have not obtained your consent to the processing, the data will only be retained for as long as such a period of time as permitted by law.
Where we process your personal data, we strive to ensure that it is accurate and up-to-date. We will seek to erase or rectify personal data that is inaccurate or incomplete. For more information regarding your right to ensure the accuracy of your personal data held by us, please see the “Information and Access” section below.
Information and access
As stated in the “Notice” section above, we may provide you with specific information concerning our processing of your personal data when collecting or registering such data. Once per year you have the right to request, and receive free of charge, information on (i) what personal data relating to you we process, (ii) where the personal data is collected, (iii) the purpose of the processing, and (iv) with which recipients or categories of recipients the personal data is shared. Requests for such information must be made in writing and be personally signed by you, and include information on name, address and, preferably, your e-mail address. You also have the right to request that we correct, block or delete any incorrect data relating to you. Requests should be sent to:
Data Protection Officer, Polestar Johan på Gårdas gata 5A SE-421 50 Gothenburg Sweden
Your requests will be dealt with in a prompt and proper manner. Requests to delete personal data will be subject to any applicable legal requirements. Where the applicable law provides for an administrative fee for complying with such a request, such a fee may be charged by Polestar. In addition, you may be able to access an overview of certain Customer-provided personal data held by Polestar, and correct or update your information, by logging in to your MyPolestar account.
Polestar strives to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures in order to protect your personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction, accidental loss or alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access and any other unlawful forms of processing. We aim to ensure that the level of security and the measures adopted to protect your personal data are appropriate for the risks presented by the nature and use of your personal data.
Disclosures to third parties
Polestar may share your personal data:
- Between Polestar entities;
- With Polestar authorised dealers and repairers, for the purpose of distributing product and service offers and other communications to you;
- With suppliers providing services to Polestar in accordance with data processing agreements (as required by law);
- With other business partners for the purpose of distributing product and service offers and other communications to you or for research and development purposes;
- In connection with the sale or transfer of a Polestars entity or its assets;
- As required by law, for example in connection with a government inquiry, dispute or other legal process or request; and
- When we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is necessary in order to protect our rights, for example in order to investigate potential violations of our terms and conditions or to detect, prevent or disclose fraud or other security issues.
A Polestars entity being the data controller of your personal data will, as a general rule, only disclose your personal data to a third party if it has received your consent to do so. However, we may share your personal data without your consent, unless we consider your consent necessary in the individual case or your consent is required by law, in the following situations:
- Vehicle-recorded data which is processed for other purposes than ensuring or developing our products and services or in order to manage our legal obligations;
- Transfers of your personal data between Polestars entities;
- Transfers of your personal data to suppliers providing services to Polestar internally;
- Situations in which disclosure is required by law, and
- Situations in which disclosure is necessary for the purpose of a legitimate interest pursued by Polestar (for example in order to protect our legal rights, as described above).
When disclosing your personal data to third parties, or between Polestar entities, we will assess whether the disclosure requires additional protective measures (for example, where a cross-border transfer of personal data may occur).
Data processing on our behalf
We restrict access to your personal data to Polestars employees and suppliers who need to use the information in order to process it on our behalf, and who are contractually required to keep your personal data secure and confidential. We aim to choose the option for data processing services that best safeguards the integrity of your personal data towards any third party.
We will not sell or trade your personal data with third parties unless we have your consent to do so.
We will not share your personal data with third parties for their marketing purposes, unless we have received your consent for such disclosures. If you have provided such consent, but wish to stop receiving marketing materials from a third party, please contact that third party directly.
We may provide you with information regarding new products, services, events or similar marketing activities. If you wish to unsubscribe to a particular e-mail newsletter or similar communication, please follow the instructions in the relevant communication. You may also use your MyPolestar account to opt out of specific types of communication from Polestar and to change previously submitted preferences.
Websites and cookies
In general, you can visit Polestar websites without telling us who you are or revealing any information about yourself. In order to provide you with certain services or offers we, however, usually need you to register certain personal data, such as your name and e-mail address. Even before such registration we may (through cookies) collect anonymous information about how you have used our websites. This information will be helpful to us in order to improve our websites or marketing.
Polestar reserves the right to amend this policy from time to time. The date of the last modification is stated at the end of this document.
Last updated in October 2017
When used below “Polestar” means either Polestar Performance AB and its affiliates.
No warranties etc.
Although all reasonable care has been taken to assure the accuracy of the information on this web site (the “Site”), it is provided "as is". In no event shall Polestar be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, consequential or other kind of damages for any use of the Site, or on any hyperlinked web site, including, without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs, loss of data or otherwise, even if Polestar has been expressly advised of the possibility of such damages.
Any warranties and representations in the Site for Polestar products or services that you purchase or use will be subject to the agreed upon terms and conditions in the contract for such products or services.
Information on the Site may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. The information contained on the Site may be changed at any time without prior notification. Further, please note that Polestar reserves the right to at any time make changes to its products and services, including their prices.
Information on the Site may contain references to Polestar products and services which are not announced or available in your country. Such references do not imply that Polestar intends to announce or make available such products and services in your country. Please also note that certain products and services may only be available at extra cost and that some of the information on the Site may not be correct due to product changes having occurred after the launch or latest update of the Site. Please contact your Polestar dealer for complete details regarding the products and services being available to you.
Unsolicited ideas etc.
Polestar appreciates to get input from its community and welcomes comments and feedback related to Volvo cars products and services. However, it is Polestars policy to not accept or otherwise consider information (such as ideas, proposals, suggestion and comments) other than such that Volvo cars has explicitly requested. This policy is intended to avoid misunderstandings or disputes since new products, services, features, business models etc. are continuously developed by Polestar or its suppliers which may be similar or identical to the ideas or information of others, even if developed without any inspiration from such ideas or information of others.
If, despite Polestars request that you do not send information to Polestar, you still send Polestar information, such as an idea, proposal, suggestion, comment etc., (collectively the “Submission”) you agree, regardless of any reservations made by you in an accompanying letter or otherwise:
- that the Submission or parts of it shall be deemed non-confidential and non-proprietary;
- that Polestar shall have no obligations (contractual or otherwise, including, but not limited to, obligations to review, respond to or otherwise process the Submission and/or to keep the Submission confidential) with respect to the Submission or parts of it;
- that Polestar shall have no liability for any use or disclosure of the Submission, or parts of it; and
- that Polestar shall be entitled to unrestricted use in any way of the Submission or parts of it for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without any consideration or compensation to you.
Specific software available on the site
Any software that may be available to download from the Site (the "Software") is the copyrighted work of Polestar and/or its licensors.
Use of the Software is governed by the terms of the end user license agreement, if any, which accompanies or is included with the Software ("License Agreement"). Unless otherwise follows from the License Agreement the Software is made available for downloading solely for use by end users. Further, unless otherwise follows from the License Agreement, the Software may be used solely for the purpose for which the Software is made available. Any reproduction or redistribution of the Software not in accordance with the License Agreement is expressly prohibited and may result in civil and criminal penalties.
The Software is warranted, if at all, only according to the terms of the License Agreement. Except as may thus be warranted in the License Agreement, Polestar hereby disclaims all warranties with regard to the Software, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement.
Thank you for signing up for the Polestar newsletter.
We will keep you informed about our latest news, products and events. Stay tuned.
Keep me informed
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay informed about our latest news, products and events.